Guest Editorial and Opinion Pieces
- Hofman KJ, McGee S, Chalkidou K, Tantivess S, Culyer AJ. National Health Insurance in South Africa: Relevance of a National Priority-Setting Agency. South African Medical Journal, September 2015, DOI:10.7196/SAMJnew.8584. http://www.samj.org.za/index.php/samj/article/view/9965.
- Hofman KJ. Non-Communicable Diseases in South Africa: A Challenge to Economic Development. South African Medical Journal. October 2014, DOI:10.7196/SAMJ.8727. https://www.wits.ac.za/media/news-migration/files/SAMJ%20guest%20ed%20Oct%202014.pdf.
- Hofman KJ, Cook C, Levitt N. Preventing Diabetic Blindness: A Priority for South Africa. South African Medical Journal, June 2014, DOI:10.7196/SAMJ.8580. http://www.samj.org.za/index.php/samj/article/view/8580/6229.
- Jack H, Stein A, Newton C, Hofman KJ. Expanding Access to Mental Health Care: The Missing Ingredient. The Lancet Global Health, April 2014, DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(14)70029-4. http://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(14)70029-4/fulltext.
- Hofman KJ, Tolman SM. Population Health in South Africa: a View from the Salt Mines. The Lancet Global Health, July 2013, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(13)70019-6. http://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(13)70019-6/fulltext?rss=yes.
- Hofman KJ, Tollman SM. Setting Priorities for Health in 21st-century South Africa. South African Medical Journal, December 2010. DOI:10.7196/SAMJ.4438. http://www.samj.org.za/index.php/samj/article/view/4438.
- Cherry M. Setting Priorities for Health Spending in South Africa. South African Journal of Science, July 2009. DOI: 10.4102/sajs.v105i7/8.24. http://journals.sajs.aosis.co.za/index.php/SAJS/article/view/24.
Letters to the Editor
- Nieuwoudt S, Goldstein S, Myers A, Christofides N, Hofman K. Health Promotion is ethical. SABL November 2014; (7) 2 http://www.sajbl.org.za/index.php/sajbl/article/view/337/362.
- Daar AS, Jacobs M, Wall S, Groenewald J, Eaton J, Patel V, dos Santos P, Kagee A, Gevers A, Sunkel C, Andrews G, Daniels I, Ndetei D. Declaration on Mental Health in Africa: Moving to Implementation. Global Health Action, June 2014, DOI://dx.doi.org/10.3402/gha.v7.24589. http://www.globalhealthaction.net/index.php/gha/article/view/24589.
- Hofman KJ, Tollman S. Strengthening capacity for local decision making. BMJ 2010, 341 Rapid Responses 5 August 2010 http://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/11/02/strengthening-capacity-local-decision-making.
Monographs and Proceedings
- Hofman KJ, Lee R. Successful Tobacco Legislation in South Africa. Intersect oral Case Study http://www.afro.who.int/en/clusters-a-programmes/hpr/social-a-economic-determinants-of-health/case-studies/country-experiences-rio.html
- Hofman KJ, Lee R. Successful Sodium Regulation in South Africa. Intersect oral Case Study http://www.afro.who.int/en/clusters-a-programmes/hpr/social-a-economic-determinants-of-health/case-studies/country-experiences-rio.html
- Beswick C, Hofman KJ and Lindsey-Renton J. Regulate or Motivate? A Salt Reduction Strategy for Processed Food in South Africa. http://www.aabschools.com/case_studies/795.html.
Opposite Editorials (Op Eds) and Lay Press Opinion Pieces
- A Tugendhaft, KJ Hofman. The Conversation, 24 November 2015. Obesity: Why South Africans Need to Can Soft Drinks.
- A Tugendhaft, KJ Hofman. The Conversation, 31 August 2015. Why Greater Transparency on Food Packaging Should get the Green Light.
- KJ Hofman, The Conversation. 22 July 2015. Stillbirths: A Story of Tragic Neglect Across the Developing World.
- Update: Sowetan
- K Hofman, J Mandle and A Tugendhaft. Business Day, 26 February 2015, Traffic Light Labels will Help in Right Food Choices. http://www.bdlive.co.za/life/health/2015/02/26/traffic-light-labels-will-help-in-right-food-choices.
- A Tugendhaft, K Hofman. Business Day, 14 December 2014. We Need Better Value for Every Rand we Spend on Healthcare in South Africa. http://www.bdlive.co.za/opinion/2014/12/12/we-need-better-value-from-every-rand-we-spend-on-healthcare-in-south-africa.
- K Hofman, K Kahn. Demanding the Best for all South Africans. PedMed April/May 2012
- K Hofman, M Maredza, M Bertram, S Tollman. Non-Communicable Diseases: Reframing the Conversation on Health. Public Health Association of SA, Newsletter, 15 Nov 2011
- K Hofman, S Tollman. Mail and Guardian (Soul City Supliment), 11 November 2011. Prevention Matters for a Healthier South Africa.
- K Hofman, S Tollman. Business Day, 23 September 2011. Diseases that are just as Serious as HIV/AIDS.
PRICELESS SA in the Press:
- Citizen: New sugar tax a sweet solution. 21 April 2016, page 8.
- Daily Dispatch, Daily Life: Sugar tax may sweeten way to cut the fat. 22 April 2016, page 10.
- Greytown Gazette: Finance Minisiter proposes "sugar tax" to halt obesity. 4 May 2016, page 5.
- Independent on Saturday: Obesity a new threat to population. 30 April 2016, page 3.
- The New Age: Sugar tax has big benefits. 22 April 2016, page 2.
- The Star: 26 public health bodies sweet on the new sugar tax. 22 April 2016, page 6.
- Times, The Second Edition: Sweet and sour of dreaded sugar tax. 21 April 2016, page 5.